Mommy Society, Introduction
The Mommy Mafia (2005)
By Kerstin Gier
Mommy
Society
Insect
Estates
Welcome to the homepage of the Mommy
Society of Insect Estates.
We are a network of happy, open, and
tolerant women who have one thing in common: having fun being a mother.
Whether you are a working mother or
“just” a stay-at-home mom: here we talk about topics relevant to the modern
woman and mother and support each other in a loving way.
Forum access is restricted to members
Home Contact Email Register
|
January
22
As promised, here is my
recipe for the quick apple cake you loved from our last club meeting: my mother
got this recipe from her mother! For the dough: mix together 2 sticks of
butter, 1 cup of sugar, 3 eggs, some whole milk, 4 cups of flour, and a pack of
baking powder, pour the smooth mixture into a springform pan, distribute and
press finely chopped apples into it, and bake the whole thing in the oven at 350
degrees for one hour – done!
Just to remind you: My
course “Knotting with small children” begins next Tuesday at the Family
Education Center. Unfortunately, there aren’t currently enough participants
registered for it. Would you be interested? We plan to knot a laundry sack that
could hang from the bathroom ceiling. It saves space and looks pretty to.
Mommy Gitti
January
22
No offense, Gitti, but
no woman watching her figure would bake this fat and sugar bomb. BTW: it should
read “looks pretty too” because “to”
is a preposition and this sentence actually requires “too,” an adverb that
means “also.” Please remember that we must always be a model for our children. As
for the knotted laundry sack: my husband would get upset if I hung anything
like that in our designer bathroom. I wouldn’t have time anyway since I am
currently ridiculously busy at work.
Mrs. Porschke, our
nanny, told us today that she can only work until the summer because her
husband is being transferred. Of course, we are sad about this. Mrs. Porschke
has a golden heart, simply adores our little darlings, and is proficient at
ironing, but I had my doubts from the beginning as to whether someone without a
degree was really the right person for two such bright young girls. At any
rate, we will need a new childcare solution after August, preferably less cost
intensive. Do any of you have experience with au pairs? Have to go now, have an
important meeting and then a two-day conference in Berlin, must prepare food
for the family, wax my legs (because of the spa at the 5-star conference
hotel), and pack my bags.
Sabine
January
23
We had au pairs for two
years after Sophie’s birth, a total of five girls from five countries, so that
I could return to work part time at first and then full time. I didn’t want to
lose my edge at work – you know what I’m talking about: with your first
pregnancy, you think that nothing will change and you can continue to have a
career. So I thought the au pair would be a good solution, because
unfortunately none of my friends warned me against one. It was only when I was
stuck in the middle of it that they came to me with their horror stories. By
then it was too late. Here is my warning: don’t hire any Pole, Latvian, or
Russian! They can cook well and don’t complain about too much work but secretly
these East European women just want a German husband and they have no problem
trying to take yours. And what good does it do your kids to speak a useless
language like Polish, Russian, or Latvian? You can also forget Spaniards and
Italians as they are far too spoiled, complain too much about the food, and
don’t know that the clothes should be ironed, folded, and stored in a dresser.
The way they talk, you would think that clothes just lie in heaps on the floor
in Spain and Italy. My friend Susanne had a Belgian au pair once who was always
smoking pot in her room and a French au pair of Moroccan origin who rang up
4000 euros in telephone charges in one month. I know firsthand that South
Africans and Argentinians are just as tricky. For her English au pair, Susanne
had to prepare complicated food because she was allergic to gluten, which is
practically in everything. And … gross: Irish women shave their pubic hair in
the shower and you have to pull their wool from the drain afterwards.
It's not cheap either.
Au pairs cheat you out of enormous amounts of spending money and you play
chauffeur all day because most of them don’t have a driver’s license and want
to go out every night. I would have liked to experiment with a male au pair but
they are hard to come by. Better just to forget about this au pair thing as
quickly as possible. If I were you, I would look for a kind, hard-working nanny
like your Mrs. Porschke. With her, you at least don’t have to worry about her
stealing your husband. If I had found someone like Mrs. Porschke, I wouldn’t
have had to give up my job. But you need a perfectly functioning system at home
in order to go back to work without a guilty conscience and to still have a
good marriage. You can forget all of that with au pairs: If you come home early,
your two-year old daughter is sitting in front of the TV and your husband is in
your bed with the au pair. Is that what you want?
Sonja
January
24
To all mommies: Hooray!
The OB-Gyn confirmed my pregnancy! Thanks for the shove-the-pillow-under-the-bottom-and-wait
tip, Frauke! I’m super happy and super looking forward to the morning sickness!
The timing is perfect: Week after next is the end of my maternity leave and
when I tell my boss that I’m pregnant again I won’t need to come back. She
knows from the last time that the bathroom was always occupied . . . by me, hee
hee, and she (childless!) thinks that pregnant women are idiots. I only hope
that she lets me stay home at full pay. Personally, I think that a mommy should
take a break from her career in the first few years, regardless of how good a
nanny might be. But to each her own.
By the way, I was once
an au pair in the US and I can ABSOLUTELY not confirm your prejudices, Sonja. I
never went out, I ate what was served and I would not have touched the man of
the house with a pair of tongs. How about a GERMAN au pair, Sabine? That’s a
guaranteed success.
Mommy (soon to be of
two!) Ellen
p.s. Did your husband
really have an affair with an au pair, Sonja? Under those circumstances, I
think it’s heroic of you to have stayed together.
January
24
That was supposed to be
an example! Of course that didn’t happen to me, but rather the friend of a
friend. With a Latvian woman. By the way, my most heartfelt congratulations to
you on your pregnancy, Ellen. You are so lucky that you didn’t starve away the
pounds you gained the last time, otherwise all that suffering would have been
for nothing.
Sonja
January
25
Back from Berlin
(intoxicating metropolitan feeling, even had some time for a shopping spree,
Armani says hello) and irritated about your statement, Ellen. We of the Mommy
Society distance ourselves from the unpleasant discussion about who the better
mother is: “just a stay at home mom” or “working mom.” A satisfied mother is a
good mother, something that is scientifically and adequately proven. Of course,
it would be easier for me to forego my “career” if I had been only a dental
assistant.
My most heartfelt
congratulations on your pregnancy with full pay! (Your boss would be an idiot
if she did that!)
Sabine
January
26
I still don’t have all
the registrations for the color consultation next week. Mrs. Merkenich is an
expert in her field; I am very proud to have gotten her for the Mommy Society.
Her consulting can change lives, so it is worthwhile at the very least for
those of us who still believe that lavender looks good on them.
Frauke
Comments
Post a Comment