Chapter 1
Chapter 1
Julius and I were
travelling first class on the train from Hamburg to Cologne because the saver
fare for first class was cheaper than the normal fare for second class, which I
didn’t understand but I was never that good in math anyway. Also, you should
take what you can get, as my mother always says. In first class, the seats have
nicer upholstery and there is room for your legs. We didn’t have a seat
reservation though and the only unreserved seats that were next to each other
were facing the opposite direction of the train and instead of facing the
built-in screen of the seatbacks in front of us we were looking into the faces
of Mr. and Mrs. Meyer (“with a Y from Offenbach near Frankfurt, eh, your little
one is adorable, how old is he?”), who also boarded in Hamburg and were eating
salami sandwiches from what looked like an inexhaustible supply. Both things,
the smell of salami and sitting backwards, made me feel sick and Julius
probably inherited that from me, which we could now determine. Shortly before
Bielefeld, he threw up without notice all over the table that separated us from
the Meyers.
The newspapers that the
Meyers had not yet read and now wouldn’t be able to anymore were saturated with
Julius’ breakfast and the three little packets of “High C” that they had
previously forced on the little boy. “Little kids need vitamins. Drink up – it’s
healthy!”
And so he did.
“Is there more?” I
asked Julius, while I frantically unearthed a tissue pack and tried to figure
out where to start wiping.
“I don’t think so,”
Julius said cautiously.
Mr. Meyer removed
himself discreetly, while Mrs. Meyer jumped up in a flurry and magicked a pack
of wet wipes from her luggage, the kind I always used to carry around when
Julius wore diapers.
With the wipes,
everything was quickly clean again. Mrs. Meyer threw them and the newspapers
away in a similarly conjured garbage bag. Then she opened the window, beamed at
me and said “all taken care of!”
I apologized and
thanked her about a thousand times.
“No need to be
embarrassed, little one,” assured Mrs. Meyer and stroked Julius’ hair.
“Sometimes kids do that, they often have problems with their tummies, you just
have to push through it! What a sweet little boy, huh, so reasonable for his
four years, and you are a very nice, clever young mommy, really, don’t be
embarrassed.”
I suddenly had the
urgent need to throw myself on Mrs. Meyer’s breast and ask her whether she
wanted to adopt me. It had been a long time since someone had said anything
that nice to me. Unfortunately, Mrs. Meyer already had loads of daughters and
sons and grandchildren and therefore probably no interest in adoption. Besides
– if she got to know me better, she would certainly quickly take back the
“clever mommy” bit. Nice, yes, clever, no. My own husband had recently called
me the “least organized, least capable woman I have ever met” and then promptly
announced that he wanted a divorce. And I was also not that young anymore. I
mean, you can still feel like twenty when you are thirty-five but you won’t
look it.
For that reason alone,
I would love Mrs. Meyer forever.
Unfortunately, we had
to get out at the main train station in Cologne and we never saw the Meyers
again. I dragged our suitcases and Julius onto the platform and collided in the
process with a sky blue bunny over six feet tall, reeking of beer. I was still
grabbing my chest in panic when the bunny burped an “oops” and hopped away.
Only then did I see that he belonged to an entire group of pastel-colored
rodents who were hopping around the garbage cans and singing “beer here, beer
here.” A patchwork clown dragging a suitcase
and a woman with a blue curly wig, who was clinging to his free arm somewhat
uncertainly but energetically, countered the rodents with “Mer losse de Dom in
Kölle.”
It was Carnival in
Cologne.
To come home to Cologne
on a Carnival Sunday after you have spent seven weeks on the wintry sleepy
island of Pellworm, is sort of like landing a spaceship on a strange planet,
though without the aliens taking much notice. I looked around for Lorenz, my future
ex-husband, the father of my children. But there was no sign of Lorenz although
I told him several times on the phone when we would arrive. I actually hadn’t
counted on his appearance. Since the divorce proceedings had started, he no
longer felt responsible for me in any way and that meant in this case that we
would have to take the subway.
I took a stronger grip
on Julius’ hand and carved a path through the commotion. On the way from
platform five to platform eleven we saw only a few people who were not in
costume and/or drunk, and even a group of Japanese (real and uncostumed) tourists
seemed completely frightened by the activity. Closely pressed together they
looked around uncertainly, and not one of them was taking pictures.
“I feel sick,” said Julius.
Alarmed, I dropped the
suitcase and pushed a long-haired vampire away from the next garbage bin. I had
to lift Julius up so that he could throw up into the opening and the vampire’s
comment that it was a paper recycling bin and not a landfill bin came too late.
But on a day like today, when half of Cologne was throwing up into garbage
cans, he couldn’t really make me feel that guilty about it.
Next to the vampire
there was a (likely) masculine being with a Gerhard Schröder mask on who,
judging from the strong odor, appeared to be sweating terribly from the latex.
“Wanna come drink a
beer with us?” he asked me.
Julius puked.
Apparently there was still enough “High C” in his stomach.
“That’s gross,” said
the vampire. “Is he yours?”
“Little kids have
problems with their tummies,” I said, just like Mrs. Meyer with a Y, and
stroked Julius’ hair. “There’s no reason to be embarrassed. You just have to
push through it.”
“Ewww, gross,” said
Gerhard Schröder. “And I wanted to drink a beer with her.”
“Still, nice ass,” said
the vampire.
“Helau[1],”
I said. I was starting to get worried. It was possible that Julius hadn’t
inherited my reaction to sitting backwards and the salami smell, but rather had
caught a stomach bug. Just in case, he belonged in bed with a Vomex.
I studied the schedule.
Our train would come in seven minutes. We could survive that.
A retiree with a
yellow-dotted hat on his bald patch elbowed me in the ribs and said in an
unfriendly tone: “Platform 10, Gisela, and hurry up! How often do you need to
check?”
By now, my mood was
also pretty sour. I elbowed the retiree in his beer belly and responded with:
“Even if you break my ribs, Karl-Heinz, I
will take the train from platform 11.”
The retiree stared at
me astonished. I didn’t know him but felt that he belonged to that type of
older men who never apologize and always park in the pregnant woman parking
space in front of the supermarket. Behind him stood a very obese, short woman
around seventy, wearing a tinsel wig and pink-colored heart glasses. Gisela, I
assumed.
“I’m right here,
Heinrich,” she said in a high, squeaky voice and tapped the retiree on the
shoulder. Heinrich. I wasn’t that far off with Karl-Heinz.
Heinrich looked for a
while between me and tinsel-Gisela and itched himself under his Carnival hat.
Then he said: “I thought you were someone else. That happens, you know?”
You know???
I looked closely at
Gisela and hoped that Heinrich had cataracts, and a very advanced case of them
at that.
The subway arrived and
opened its door with a sigh.
“I’m sick,” said
Julius. Unfortunately, Heinrich couldn’t get out of the way fast enough.
“That happens, you know?”
I said.
We lived on the first
floor of a beautifully remodeled old building. No one who looked up at our
windows from the street would guess that this was an apartment the size of a
football field. Lorenz and I had bought the apartment when he had been
appointed prosecutor ten years ago. That is, Lorenz had bought it. I just moved
into it.
Lorenz was seven years
older. When we met, I had just turned twenty, was in the second semester of my
psychology studies, and still completely lost in the big city. The streetcar
and subway systems made me really nervous. After I got lost on the way to a
study group at another student’s place only two stations away and ended up in a
mysterious town called Zülpich-Ülpenich without my wallet, I started to ride my
bike everywhere, regardless of how far something would be. I was good at riding my bike. I was born and
raised on the North Sea island of Pellworm. My parents have a farm there,
mostly milking cows. I was actually supposed to be a boy and take over the farm
later. My parents still don’t know what to do with girls.
“Of course we still love you, Constanze,” my father always says, but when my brother was born three years later, I think that they seriously considered giving up the extra kid – me – for adoption. When I say that to my parents – and sometimes I still do -, they roll their eyes and say that I should finally grow up and stop being such a girl.
The fact that I ended
up going to college in Cologne of all places didn’t exactly make my parents
happy. They thought that I wasn’t mature enough for the big city.
Unfortunately, they were right. I would have preferred to have gone to Hamburg,
which was closer to home and had an easier public transportation network. The
Rhinelanders are, in my opinion, also only half as open and welcoming, as the
saying goes: without a cent in Zülpich-Ülpenich – that was not fun. No one
wanted to loan me a bicycle or give me money for the return trip home or even
let me use their phone. No trace of Rhenish warmth. The taxi driver who finally
drove me home came from Turkey.
As I said, I had a hard
time acclimating to life in Cologne. I looked very Frisian – tall, blonde, and
gawky, with disproportionately large feet and hands. I wore metal-rimmed
glasses, chewed my fingernails and stuttered when I got excited. To look
shorter, I slumped my shoulders and had adopted a shuffling gait. And to
demonstrate this fresh start and my new adult status, the first thing I did in
Cologne was to find a hairstylist to give me a – in my opinion – “cool short
hairstyle.” But the hairstyle was not cool and I’m not even totally sure now
that it was a style. But it was unremarkable and plain and matched perfectly
with my mostly gray and navy blue clothes. I usually wore jeans with sack-like
shirts, comfortable walking shoes and no makeup. With this look, I fit right
into my psychology seminars. To further strengthen my sense of belonging, I had
an unhappy relationship with one of the boys from my apartment, Jan Kröllmann.
Out of a false sense of shame, I never told Jan that he was my first, which
really wasn’t a good foundation for our relationship. I was so shy and uptight
that Jan could only see me naked when it was pitch black in the room – so, not
at all. He cheated on me quickly with the girlfriend of another roommate who,
as he said, had the more comfortable bed. Since they didn’t have sex in the
bed, but rather on the carpet in the hallway, in the bathtub, and on the
kitchen table, I had a strong suspicion that she had other advantages over me
besides the bed. Out of fear that I would stumble across them, I barely left my
room and spent a disproportionate amount of time in the university library. The
fact that another roommate persistently offered to take Jan’s place didn’t
exactly make the situation any less complicated, especially because this
roommate was a head shorter than I and had a penetrating body odor. I was close
to giving up my studies and returning to Pellworm to spend the rest of my life
milking cows. Fortunately, that’s when I met Lorenz and changed my mind.
I ran over Lorenz with
my bicycle – totally romantic. He was standing in the middle of the bike path.
Up until the last minute, I thought that he would jump to the side since I was
ringing my bell like crazy and making frantic hand gestures; also I was yelling
pretty loudly about ignorant pedestrians on bike paths. But Lorenz was so
engrossed in his files that he neither heard nor saw me. I swerved at the last
second onto the pedestrian path but another bicyclist headed toward me, also
trying not to hit Lorenz. All three of us collided, we made quite a commotion
and it was a while before we had separated all our limbs and bicycles. It was a
miracle that no one was seriously injured, aside for the scrapes I got. Lorenz
was kind enough to see that the accident was entirely his fault. He waited
until the other cyclist rode off cursing him and then invited me to dinner. I
still think that his invitation was pure coincidence: if the other cyclist had
been a woman and much better looking than I was, then Lorenz probably would have
married her. He had decided that it was time for a serious relationship and
when Lorenz decides something, it’s a done deal. He was an ambitious, young
lawyer in training with clearly defined future plans and he seemed to me like a
gift from God. Jan Kröllmann was nothing to Lorenz Wischnewski – that was clear
right away.
Looking back, I think
that I didn’t need much to fall in love. Out of convenience, I fell in love
with the first man who came along.
Lorenz was the first
man who recognized that I wasn’t an ugly duckling, but rather a swan. Under his
guidance, I got rid of my sack-like shirts and bought fitted t-shirts, grew to
like wearing heels, size 11, and switched out my metal-rimmed glasses for
contacts. Thus transformed (three weeks after meeting him and only my dog at
home in Pellworm would have recognized me), Lorenz proudly introduced me to his
friends and then to his mother.
That he only presented
me publicly after I had changed my appearance, should have made me suspicious,
but I was in love. There was no longer any reason to slump my shoulders and
shuffle my feet, for Lorenz was taller than I was even in heels. Finally, a man
who knew what he wanted – namely, me!
I could not move out of my apartment and into Lorenz’s fast enough.
My pregnancy came
almost as fast.
Of course that wasn’t
on purpose. When my period didn’t come, I panicked. Pregnant! Especially now
when my life had become something so wonderful! Lorenz – the first man who had
seen me naked, would throw me out of his apartment, my parents would kill me,
and I could never show my face in Pellworm again. In the gynecologist’s waiting
room, I prayed that I had a horrible, even incurable disease – please, please –
I took the pill every day at the same time, please let me be sick, an insidious
cyst, a malignant myoma, anything but pregnancy.
My prayer fell on deaf
ears. After I saw the baby on the ultrasound, I was really happy that I didn’t
have to die.
And I had been wrong
about Lorenz and my parents. When Lorenz found out about the pregnancy, he did
not throw me out of his apartment. He proposed. And when my parents heard of
the marriage proposal, they invited us both to Pellworm to introduce Lorenz to
the neighbors and discuss the selection of strollers.
About eight months
later, our daughter Nelly was born, then Julius, and for fourteen years
everything was great. I had given up my studies to raise my children and tried
to fill my life with all the right things: the right books on the right party
small talk, the right shoes to match the right dress, the right vacation
locales with the right friends, the right meals for the right occasion, and the
right interaction with the right housekeeper. The latter was hardest for me. It
took a few years before I figured out that it isn’t sensible to befriend the
woman who cleans up after us. In the end, you sit down with your new “friend” over
coffee, listen to her depressing marriage stories, and give good advice that is
never followed. Every afternoon you pay your friend the agreed upon fee only to
do all the housework yourself afterwards. Strangely enough, such friendships
only last until you decide to hire someone else to clean so that you have more
time to discuss the friend’s marital problems. Your husband (rightly) calls you
silly – at least that was the case for me. But I was very young and totally
inexperienced (my mother never had a housekeeper, of course) and I had a lot to
learn. Nevertheless: Mrs. Klapko, the first housekeeper I did not call by her
first name, has been cleaning, ironing, and vacuuming for us for five years and
thanks to her our apartment looks so clean and tidy that it could be
photographed for an interior design magazine.
Everything was going
well for us. Until my husband suddenly and unexpectedly asked for a divorce
four months ago.
I was completely thrown
by this. The evening had begun like so many others: Lorenz had worked overtime
and I had put the kids to bed without him, warmed up his dinner, and talked
about the day over a glass of red wine.
Without any run-up, he
announced: “Conny, I want a divorce.”
It wouldn’t have taken
much for me to have fallen from my chair at that point.
“Is that supposed to be
a joke?” I asked.
“Of course not. I would
never make a joke about that,” responded Lorenz sternly.
Bewildered I stared at
him and considered which part of the film I had missed. Hello? Does anyone hear
me?
In the meantime, Lorenz
shared his plans regarding my and his future: “Of course the children will stay
with you, though I will keep the apartment, if nothing else because of the
proximity to the court. Ulfi will take care of all the financial stuff for us
so we don’t need to worry about that, but I thought it would be nice if you and
the kids would live in my mother’s house. The children would have a backyard
and you would have even more space than you do here. Also, it’s my parents’
house and to sell it to strangers doesn’t feel right to me. What do you think,
Conny?”
Hello? Hello? I kept
calling for backup. But no one responded.
“Conny?”
“Hm?” I was clearly in
shock. I probably had saliva running down my chin. I tried to piece together
individual bits of what Lorenz was saying but it just wasn’t happening. His
mother had died four weeks ago at the age of 83 from a heart attack. Maybe
Lorenz’s divorce ideas were just a delayed reaction to her death? I tried to
activate the remnants of my psychology courses: was there perhaps a sort of . .
. uh . . . oedipal . . . uh . . . pressure to divorce . . . uh . . .
postmortem? I couldn’t remember to have ever heard of such a thing. Actually
there were only two possible explanations. Either Lorenz had a brain tumor or .
. .
“Julius could go to the
‘Villa Kunterbunt,’ the kindergarten down the street; it has a great reputation
and the percentage of ill-bred foreign and welfare kids is practically at
zero,” said Lorenz, interrupting my chaotic stream of thought. “He wouldn’t be
hit over the head every day with a shovel and the teachers don’t wear
headscarves. That would be a very obvious improvement to this integrative,
alternative joke of a school he goes to now, don’t you think? Nelly can of
course stay at her school and would just have to take a longer bus trip to get
there. But if she wants to switch: the high school there also has a good
reputation and she can even ride her bike. But I think we should let her decide
for herself, you know?”
Either he had a brain
tumor or . . .
“Is there someone
else?” I burst out.
“What?” Lorenz looked
at me as though I had lost my mind. “How’d you come up with that?”
“Yes, tell me!” I
cried. “Why else would you suddenly want a divorce? We’re fine.”
Lorenz sighed. “I knew
that it would be difficult to have a rational discussion with you about this.
You are so emotional.”
One of us had clearly
gone crazy. Feverishly, I mined the last fourteen years for an explanation for
Lorenz’s wish to divorce and found nothing, not even a serious fight. Okay, so
I gave up my studies and never tried to have a career, for which I sometimes
feel guilty. The women in our circle were not only more competent in dealing
with their housekeepers, they were also generally employed despite their
children; most were even something great like an investment banker, lawyer, or
doctor. It was easy to feel inferior in that circle when everyone was exchanging
stories from their everyday lives: about an exciting criminal court case, a
patient revived at the last second, or the chaotic Nikkei, while the worst
problem that I had solved that day was how to get gum out of my young
daughter’s hair. But Lorenz had never had a problem with me staying at home; in
fact, he had always said that he earned enough money for both of us and he was
right. (Particularly because he was the only child in a family with two
childless rich uncles who had died one after another during our marriage. Even
though they gave the largest part of their estates to various foundations,
there were still plenty of bonds, paintings, and money market funds for their
only nephew and great nephew.) Also, we saw over the years that many marriages
in our circle fell apart despite the women being so hardworking and clever. No,
there were no fundamental discrepancies between us, even our sex life was
completely normal. Once or twice a week we slept together, when the children
were in bed, and that was a lot more than most other pairs with small children
could claim. There had occasionally been a few smaller harmless disputes in our
marriage. Something about how I preferred to carry my “Tchibo”[2]
purse even though Lorenz had given me a Louis Vuitton bag, or how years ago I
once left Julius’s diaper pail in the hallway when the senior prosecutor and
his wife had come over for dinner. I could really only think of one thing that
Lorenz had been upset about and that was the issue with the new neighbor.
Recently I had brought
the garbage down and locked myself out, a classic move that we have all
experienced: the door shuts and the keys are inside. There was a vegetable
lasagna baking in the oven and Julius was napping. The neighbor who had our
apartment key for emergencies or when we were out of town was gone and Nelly
wouldn’t be home for two hours. Because the lasagna was nearly finished, I
immediately rang the bell of the apartment above us where someone had just
moved in, an ageless, bearded man who had until then not introduced himself. He
was luckily at home. I was in a hurry because I didn’t want Julius to wake up
and find himself alone in the apartment, so I said hastily, but not rudely:
“Hello, my name is Constanze Wischnewski and I live in the apartment below you,
welcome to the building, I’ll bring you a welcome gift later, but may I please
go out to your balcony?”
The bearded man was
somewhat overwhelmed by this and just stared baffled at my bare feet. But I
couldn’t wait until he had woken up out of his momentary paralysis.
“It’s lovely here,” I
said as I pushed past him into the living room and gaped at the complete lack
of furniture. Only “Bang & Olufsen”[3]
and floor-to-ceiling CD holders. “So minimalist.”
Because the man still
didn’t say anything, I opened the balcony door and climbed, but not without
offering profuse thanks, down the steel pipes covered in Japanese knotweed to
our balcony. The rest was easy: One casement of the bedroom window was tilted
open so I reached through the crack, opened the other casement, and climbed in.
I was proud of myself: neither the lasagna nor Julius suffered any consequences.
When I told Lorenz the
story that night, he already knew about it. The bearded man had caught him in
the stairwell and asked about the psychiatric drugs that I must be taking. And
complained that the previous renter had not told him anything about me. Apparently,
he sensed an opportunity for rent reduction. Because of me! As if I were
dangerous! Lorenz was humiliated. That night he uttered that insulting sentence
about how I was the least organized and least capable woman he knew. Moreover,
I was reckless and irresponsible and walking around barefoot was a vulgar
country habit.
But he would hardly
want a divorce because I walked around barefoot, right?
“Is there someone
else?” I repeated with a wavering voice.
“Nooo!” Lorenz said
with emphasis.
I didn’t know what else
to do so I started to cry, less from worry and more from helplessness. And
because I couldn’t stop crying, Lorenz felt sorry for me and tried to explain
his decision.
He said that his
feelings for me had changed, that was all. That our potential was simply
exhausted and we could no longer develop as a couple. And that we were too
young to have a marriage without love. And that if I looked deep inside, I would
eventually come to this conclusion too.
In the following weeks,
I tried to look deep inside and search for this realization, while Lorenz was
already working energetically on the implementation of his plans. When he had
made up his mind about something, there was no going back. He explained to the
children that Mommy and Daddy still loved each other but not enough to live
together. And that Daddy would be sleeping in the guest room for now. But
grandma’s house – it has been so sad that it was alone without a family – would
be where they, the children, and Mommy, that’s me, would be living as soon as
the heating was repaired. Then the house would be happy again and Daddy would
not have to sleep in the guest room anymore. And in the backyard of grandma’s
house they could put a wonderful swing and a sandbox and Daddy would come over
often and visit them. And they could come over to Daddy’s house any time to
visit and everything would be really, really great.
That worked for Julius,
who didn’t ask any questions and was as even-tempered and happy as he always
was. But Nelly was fourteen years old, not four, and she found Lorenz’s
explanations flimsy. Furthermore, she couldn’t be bribed with swings and
sandboxes anymore. In an uncharitable move, she blamed me for this mess.
“I’m not buying any of
this,” she said. “What did you do?”
Nothing. I had done
nothing, absolutely nothing. Maybe that was too little?
“I don’t want to move
to grandma’s house. That’s like a total wasteland,” Nelly cried. “You just have
to make up with Daddy.”
Yep, if only it were
that easy.
“But we didn’t even
fight, honey,” I said and tried to sound calming, superior, and grownup.
“Well what is it then?”
called Nelly. “Is Daddy cheating on you?”
“Nooo!” I said with
emphasis, just like Lorenz.
“But why doesn’t he
love you anymore?”
I shrugged my
shoulders. “You know, feelings can sometimes . . .”
“Fuck!” yelled Nelly
and started to cry. “I don’t want to move to this boring house in the suburbs.
I think it’s really shitty that you aren’t doing anything about this. You’re
ruining my entire life.”
But what was I supposed
to do? Lorenz’s decision was made. He had lost no time informing all our
friends, acquaintances, and relatives about our imminent divorce. They were
surprised, though not as surprised as I was. Things like this happened in the
best of families.
Everyone was very
friendly and very neutral but, even if a neutral approach in these cases is
theoretically considered correct, neutrality is not very useful on a practical
level. Yes, I would even go so far as to say that neutral friends aren’t
friends at all. If I hadn’t had Trudi, I would have felt even more alone than I
already did.
Trudi, whose actual
name was Gertrud, was the only one in my circle of friends who was not
“correct,” according to Lorenz’s standards. I had met her in college when I had
tried to finish my degree two years after Nelly’s birth. (Which I – by the way
– never accomplished.) Trudi had, in Lorenz’s words, a crack in her teapot; she
believed in strange spirits and aliens and knew all the stations of her many
previous lives. She had been a brilliant psychology student, graduated at the
top of the class, and had blown off two great job offers because they “didn’t
feel right.” Since then, she had completed a series of mysterious,
cost-intensive workshops that enabled her to sense water veins and
electromagnetic fields, soothe nature spirits, and analyze the aura of an old
car tire. Aside from that, she was a really good friend, the kind that you can
call at four in the morning if you need help.
Trudi was the only one
not being neutral and gave me a hug, saying “Lorenz is a jerk, Conny. I have
experienced this a hundred times in my circle of acquaintance. This is a
mid-life crisis. It’s normal for men to separate from their families during
this phase and to switch out their wives for someone younger. And their Volvo
for a convertible Porsche. It’s why I never got married.”
“But Lorenz isn’t
cheating on me,” I said. Admittedly, he did have a Volvo.
Trudi wasn’t convinced.
“I’m pretty sure about this. My instinct is never wrong.”
“He just doesn’t love
me anymore – that’s all,” I said. “And somehow that’s even worse.”
“What an idiot!” Trudi
put her arm around me and trotted out all the platitudes that someone in this
situation could ever want to hear. “He didn’t deserve you. I always thought
that you weren’t a good match. And look at it this way: when one door closes,
another one opens. Who knows what fate has in store for you. Your next big
adventure is here, isn’t that great? If Lorenz has someone else, then we will
find someone else for you too. Someone better. That would be easy the way you
look. It will just be hard to find someone who is taller than you. I can’t help
but be old fashioned in these areas. If men these days can’t be smarter than we
are, then they should at least be taller than us. Oh, this will be great: the
single life in your mid-thirties is so much better.”
But I didn’t want the
single life.
“Trudi,” I said with
emphasis. “Lorenz is not cheating on me. He just doesn’t love me anymore and I
don’t know why and it’s making me miserable. It would have been better if he
had been cheating on me. That would at least feel normal.”
I had always thought
that family came first for Lorenz. Right after his career. That he wanted to
ship us off to his mother’s house after fourteen years together just because
his feelings had “changed” seemed to come out of nowhere.
If Lorenz wasn’t
cheating on me then he must have a brain tumor. That was the only plausible
explanation and I clung to it like a lifeline.
Instead of going to the
neurologist, Lorenz went instead to his friend and lawyer Ulfi Kleinschmidt,
who confused me even more by presenting the divorce formalities in such
legalese that I didn’t understand a thing. But I didn’t want to look stupid so
I signed everything that Ulfi put in front of me so that “the process would be
sped up.” Although I didn’t want the process to be sped up at all. Maybe Lorenz
would die from his brain tumor before the divorce. Something like that can go
really fast.
“I’m completely
healthy,” Lorenz said. “And you have to accept that it’s over between us.”
But I just couldn’t
switch tracks that quickly. While I watched how Lorenz carefully dismantled the
pieces of our marriage and only went to dinner parties without me – our
so-called friends had decided that Lorenz was probably the more important
contact to have -, sitting in our apartment increasingly felt pointless, like I
was an uninvited guest. I began to pack up my and the children’s things
half-heartedly, which Nelly acknowledged with hysterical screaming fits.
“My things are staying
here! I’ll be here most of the time anyway. I’ll only go to grandma’s lame
house to sleep! And I’ll definitely not be inviting any of my friends there.
Daddy said that he won’t touch my room here.”
There wasn’t much to
pack anyway because everything belonged to Lorenz. He had picked it out and
paid for it. I always let Lorenz handle questions of taste, which was like a
red thread throughout our marriage. The entire apartment was furnished with
ridiculously expensive, silver-gray goat hair velour, Rolf Benz sofas with
black leather upholstery, a coffee table that cost as much as a small car, and
giant abstract paintings which would cover the college funds of our kids if
they were ever sold.
Only the softwood
kitchen sideboard, which I had given Lorenz when we got married, stood out from
the rest of the furnishings. I had found it at home in Pellworm in our
neighbor’s cowshed, under many layers of paint. It had taken weeks to strip and
sand it, then paint away the cowshed odor with linseed oil and essential orange
oil.
Lorenz had been very
moved when I had presented the sideboard to him, tied up with a pretty white
bow.
I started crying when I
remembered this moment. The memories flooding my brain were making me cry a lot
actually. Some days my eyes never dried from all the crying. Trudi found this
alarming. She said that my aura was completely poisoned and that I had to move
out immediately to save my soul. She was not convinced by my brain tumor
theory, but rather offered for me and the kids to move in with her until Lorenz
had arranged for the heating in his mother’s house to be repaired. But aside
from the fact that Nelly was suffering from further hysterical screaming fits
from this suggestion, the idea was not very good. Trudi lived with her three
Siamese cats and an entire collection of spirits, invisible to us thankfully,
in a small two-bedroom apartment and had no understanding of what it would mean
to share this with a teenager, a small child, and an acutely depressed
mid-thirties woman. If I hadn’t had children, I would have taken her up on her
offer immediately. We would have killed several bottles of red wine every night
and watched sad movies. Nothing is more comforting than drunk-watching the
Titanic sink – I mean, you just feel better about your own life when you see
that. But I had to remain rational for the kids.
“Oh, come on!” Trudi
said adventurously. “We’ll have a great time! The three of you can have the
mattress in the living room and we’ll do energy massages and aromatherapy and a
picnic in front of the TV and . . .”
“No, no,” I said.
“Otherwise you’ll change your mind about me and then there won’t be anyone who
loves me.”
Instead of moving in
with Trudi, I was rational and took the kids with me to Pellworm, although
there I had neither a comforting friend nor Titanic movies nor red wine. But
every year we had spent Christmas with my parents and I wanted the kids’
holiday to be as normal as possible. Unfortunately during the holidays there
was no one around to repair the heating in the house of Lorenz’s mother and
when he had finally found someone he learned that the heating could no longer
be repaired but had to be completely replaced. That meant that we had to stay
longer at my parents’ house. Nelly had to return home after the holidays ended
because she had school. She was in an exceptionally good mood when she left
since my parents didn’t know what to do with girls and they also spent the
entire time trying to convince Nelly that she looked just like me.
“Really, just like
Constanze at her age,” they said. Girls don’t like to hear things like that.
Even today, I would rather not look anything like my mother. To make matters
worse, Nelly found my confirmation pictures – me as a fourteen year old with
slumping shoulders, metal-rimmed glasses, and size 11 college shoes – and broke
out in tears about it.
“And they think I look
like that?” she cried.
“No, honey,” I tried to
console her. “You only inherited the good parts of me.”
“What good parts?”
Nelly cried out rudely.
While my daughter was
happy to be able to go home finally, Julius and I had no other option but to
stick it out on Pellworm until the damn heating was finally replaced.
Julius was happy to be
here; he was a boy and my parents liked boys and the fresh North Sea air was
good for both of us. We collected mussels by the pound and were, despite the
weather, outside a lot, not least because that was the only way I could escape
my parents. It wasn’t easy for me to be with them for so long as they had a
particular way of letting me know what they thought of me: namely nothing. My
mother didn’t let a day pass without saying at least one time: “if you had only
listened to us and gotten a job! All those years lazing around! Nothing good
could come of that. Now here you are – no man and no career!”
“And with a pile of
hungry kids,” my father liked to add, as though I had at least fourteen
children who all had to beg for a warm meal.
There was no wine
cellar to comfort me and I wasn’t miserable enough to open a jar of the
homemade currant preserves that my mother had stored for decades. It also
rained a lot. So I was really happy when Lorenz finally called and said “Pack
your bags: the heating is done and everything is ready. Julius got the
emergency kindergarten spot at the Villa Kunterbunt! You can come home.”
All I needed to cry
tears of joy would have been if he had added that he had been cured of his
brain tumor.
At least, now, we were
finally back home.
I heaved the heavy
suitcase onto the stone steps by the front door of the building and took a deep
breath. At the same moment the door opened and the bearded man from the
apartment above us came out. When he saw me, he was suddenly in such a hurry
that he stumbled over the suitcase without a greeting and hurried away.
“Nice to see you
again,” I said, but the bearded man had already taken flight, as though I were
a psycho with a drawn knife running after him. He probably thought that I had
broken out of whatever mental institution I had spent the last seven weeks in.
At least this time I had shoes on and they were even from Gucci.
“I want to go to bed,”
Julius said. He was pitifully pale and I hurried to open the building door that
the bearded man had so thoughtlessly let close behind him.
Except that I couldn’t
open the door. Something was wrong with the key.
I rang the doorbell.
“Yes?” came the voice
of Nelly, which sounded fairly cranky even through the speaker.
“Nelly honey, we’re
here!” I said sweetly. “But something is wrong with the lock so someone will
have to come down and let us in.”
Now I heard the voice
of my still-husband through the speaker. “Wait there. We’re almost ready.”
“With what?”
No response.
“We’ll be warm in a
minute,” I said to Julius. “You were very brave. Later I’ll tell you the story
of Goldilocks that time she got sick on the train.”
I heard steps in the
stairwell and then Lorenz opened the door, alive and well. He looked even better
than usual, somehow suntanned. The brain tumor theory was officially dead. This
man was not sick.
Nevertheless he smiled
at me. About as warmly as one might smile at a vacuum cleaner salesman, but
still. “Great that you’re on time. So we can leave right away.”
Leave? Where? Aha,
classic, he probably didn’t want to cook anything. “Okay, if you’re thinking of
taking us to McDonald’s – Julius just threw up all over Cologne.” I said.
“Huh?” Lorenz wrinkled
his forehead. He had knelt down and was hugging Julius but was now pushing him
away with both hands. “Don’t get me sick. I have zero desire for a stomach bug.”
“It’s because of all
that High C from Mrs. Meyer,” Julius said.
Behind Lorenz I saw
Nelly on the stairs, loaded up like a small pack animal with backpack,
suitcase, and something that looked like rolled bedding. When I saw my
freckled, long-limbed, and large-footed child, the tears welled up in my eyes.
I had not seen her in five weeks. We had never been separated for so long. I
had called her twice a day because I missed her so much. (From my cell phone
because my parents only had a telephone for emergencies. And for holidays and
birthdays – the saver fare.) I had a strong suspicion that this desire to be
close was one-sided. Nelly would have been fine if I had only called every
second weekend, if at all.
Whatever. I hugged my
tall daughter so tightly that her bedding fell to the floor, including the
stuffed animal with the sucked-on ears that slipped out of it. “And, did you
have a nice time with Daddy?”
“Mom! Don’t sniffle in
my ear.” Nelly pulled away. “Hey Jules. Long time no see.”
Julius beamed at Nelly.
“Nelly, I threw up three times. Once on the train, once in the garbage can, and
once on a man’s jacket.”
“Yes, there will
probably be a warrant out for our arrest because of it,” I said and picked up
the stuffed animal from the ground. “But what was I supposed to do? I couldn’t
write down our address for old Mr. Whiny because the subway would have left
without us. Man, was he mad.”
Julius nodded. “Daddy?
What is a nutty, backwood broad?”
“The man probably meant
your mother,” said Lorenz. His look made it clear that Heinrich had spoken
Lorenz’s opinion. “But now we have to go. Off to the car and to your new home.”
“Now?” I asked dumbfounded. “Lorenz, it’s already dark and I just
dragged myself from the train station hungry and thirsty with a suitcase that
weighs a ton and a vomiting child . . .”
“I think it’s best for
everyone if we don’t lose any time with the move,” Lorenz said, with a
meaningful look at Julius, and closed the door behind him. “Although move is
too strong of a word. Everything you need is already over there. The house just
needs its people.” And then he laughed cheerfully.
I really wanted to hit
him over the head with Nelly’s stuffed animal.
“Daddy’s in a big hurry
to get rid of us,” said Nelly. “He practically pushed me down the stairs.”
“How nice,” I said. Oh,
if only I would have stayed on the train and gone home with the Meyers (with a
Y!) to Offenbach near Frankfurt. Maybe they would have adopted us if we had
asked nicely.
“Don’t exaggerate,
Nelly,” Lorenz said. “I don’t know why we’re still sitting here talking.
Tomorrow I have to work through a mountain of files and don’t have time to
drive you, so let’s go. Stop messing around. Julius needs to go to bed.”
“And I need to pee,” I
said and tried my house key again in the lock.
“In twenty minutes you
can use mother’s bathroom – I mean, your
bathroom,” Lorenz said and laughed nervously.
Lorenz had to get used
to this and so did I: “Mother’s bathroom” was now where Constanze pees. That
was now documented by a notary.
Still: “But I have to
go now,” I said. Lorenz was in a
ridiculous rush to start his new, family-free life. Apparently his ex-family
was not even allowed to use his bathroom. “The key is jammed . . .” I fell
silent, because I suddenly had a suspicion. Warily I looked up at Lorenz: “Did
you actually . . . – you didn’t have the locks changed, did you?”
“I did.” Lorenz looked
earnestly at his watch.
“But – hey!” I couldn’t
believe it. The man had changed the locks as though I were a criminal from whom
he had to protect himself! “Don’t you think that it would have been enough to
have changed the lock on the apartment
door? I mean, in the event that I had decided to steal your stereo while you
were at work. Or” – the idea just now came to me – “suffocate you with a pillow
while you slept?”
But Lorenz found my
thoughts annoying. He wasn’t the least bit embarrassed by my discovery. “Conny,
can we go now? Julius is freezing.”
I would have loved to
contract one of Nelly’s hysterical screaming fits and make a terrible scene for
Lorenz on the street but terrible scenes weren’t my thing. Instead I repeated a
little stubbornly now that I really had to pee, regardless of his being in a
hurry.
Lorenz gave in with a
sigh. He gave Nelly the car keys and directed her to take Julius down to the
underground garage and wait for us in the car.
“You can buckle Julius
in,” he said. “We’ll be there in five minutes.”
Apparently he didn’t
want me to enter the apartment without a guard. “Are you afraid that I’ll pee
standing up?” I asked irritated, while we climbed the stairs. “Or do you think
that I’ll be able to smuggle that valuable coffee table under my jacket and out
of the apartment without you noticing?”
“I just want you to
hurry,” said Lorenz. “I know you!” He opened the apartment door. So, he knew
me! Don’t make me laugh. Very slowly I sauntered down the hall. Instead of the
bathroom I turned into the living and dining areas and looked around. Exactly
as I expected: it was as though I had never lived there. No trace of me. Not
even the red wine stain on the carpet that I had caused before I left for
Pellworm.
Lorenz had followed me
with a sigh.
“Where is the kitchen
sideboard?” I asked, just to give him another reason to sigh.
“Where do you think?
Together with your other things at Mother’s house. Uh, your house.”
“But it belongs to
you,” I said. “I gave it to you for our wedding.”
Lorenz sighed. Then
said: “I thought you would perhaps want to have it back.”
“You just want to get
rid of everything to reminds you of me, right?”
Lorenz didn’t answer.
He played with his keys impatiently.
“What was all your stupid
talk about staying good friends! You – you – you can’t even handle living under
one roof with my sideboard!” My voice sounded a little shrill and I stuttered
as I always did when I was upset.
“Just go pee,” said
Lorenz.
“Why – do you want to
inspect the crime scene afterward? Seriously, Lorenz, regardless of whether you
give away the sideboard or change the locks: I will always be a part of your life.” I almost added that old
classic “I’m the mother of your children!” But before I could sink that low, I
decided to go to the bathroom. Lorenz couldn’t have cared less about my
thoughts anyway. He waited directly in front of the door, probably so that I
wouldn’t steal the valuable designer toilet brush.
Such an undignified end
to a marriage.
“The thing with the
sideboard is so petty! I never would have thought you would do that,” I said,
when I came out of the bathroom. I tried to sound cool but my stuttering
betrayed me: “What did you do with the family ph-ph-photos? Cut me out of them?”
Lorenz looked at me
with some compassion. “Did you ever think that I might have given you back the
sideboard because it doesn’t fit the style of the apartment?”
Nope, the thought
hadn’t occurred to me.
“And about the photos:
I brought all the photo albums to mother’s house. Um, to your house, I mean.”
That was only right;
after all, I had been the one to put the photos in the albums.
“Can we go now? The
kids are waiting!” Lorenz pushed me solemnly into the stairwell.
When he locked the
apartment door, it was me who sighed for a change.
[1]
Carnival greeting in Cologne
[2]
Tchibo is a German chain that sells coffee and household goods.
[3] A
Danish electronics company
Comments
Post a Comment